12.22.2010

Peppermint Cake Balls


I am not a huge fan of cake.  

I will take a great cookie or bar over cake most days.  

When I learned about cake balls last year, I wanted to give them a try.  They are the perfect bite sized snack of cake. Cake balls have now become the most requested dessert when we host our teen small group.    

Over the course of the last year I have experimented with different cake flavors such as funfetti, cherry chip, strawberry, and cookies and cream {white cake mix with crushed up oreos}.  Our favorite flavor so far is the cookies and cream.

When I found the peppermint oreos I knew I had to try making a cookies and cream cake with them.  These cake balls do not disappoint. They were the perfect combination of the cake, chocolate, and mint.

If you are looking for an easy, last minute dessert to take to a Christmas gathering this will surely be a hit!

Peppermint Cake Balls
- make a white cake mix according to package directions
- crush up peppermint oreos {i used an entire package but you can use less} and add to the white cake mix
- put cake with oreos into a greased 9x13 pan and bake according to the package directions
- when the cake is cooled, crumbled it up with one can of frosting or one batch of homemade frosting {i have always used homemade frosting and make enough to cover a 9 x 13 cake}
- when the cake and frosting are mixed, form into small balls and place on a lined cookie sheet or jelly roll pan
- place cake balls into the freezer until they are hard
- melt candy melts and dip cake balls
- let them set 
- enjoy!

* i have found that the candy melts work much better to coat cake balls than almond bark or chocolate chips.  i like that the candy melts come in a variety of colors so you don't have to just have white or brown {if you use milk chocolate} cake balls.

2 comments:

Simply Sara said...

mmmm you had me at peppermint :)

i've never tried making cake balls... it'll be next on my list for the new year. i'm kinda tired of baking this month :)

Jeni said...

Oh how I love your cake balls!!! The cherry chip are my favorite. I am definately making these this week because I LOVE peppermint!