12.17.2010

Advent: Day 16

Lego Calendar:


Bible Verses:  1 John 4:16-18

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.



Activity: make cookies, decorate roll outs, and make ornaments.


It was a bit of a marathon baking day.  I like to spend one day making many different types of cookies.  Since I have wonderful kitchen helpers, it usually goes very smoothly.  Although today I had thoughts in my head like Dear Santa, I could really really use a double oven. please and thank you.


We started the morning making gingersnaps, snickerdoodles, spritz, peanut butter blossoms, and peanut butter temptations.


The hardest part for the kids was the waiting so they could add the hershey kisses or peanut butter cups. So Mauryn decided to hunker down in front of the oven with her "treat"... a spatula to lick and wait for the cookies. 

 We made two different types of ornaments.  The first was making a swirl ball.  This was a huge hit with the kids. I purchased two packages of clear ornaments thinking that would be enough but my kids were asking to make more ornaments.  I will definitely be picking up more clear ornaments on sale to make these again next year. They turned out so pretty and were very easy.  I love when I can find something that all three of my kids can do independently. 
 The second ornament we made was out of air dry clay.  The kids rolled out the clay, cut out a circle, and then put different items in the clay to get different textures.  The clay is still drying but I will show a picture of our finished project after we add some shimmery mod podge to the top.  
A baking day wouldn't be complete without making roll out cookies.  Most of my cookie cutters come from my mom collection, so making cookies brings back many memories of my childhood. I enjoyed watching my kids work together on rolling and cutting out the cookies as well as deciding what different shapes they would cut out of the dough.
 The cookie decorating went to a whole new level when Lance challenged Morgan to a cookie decorating contest.  Gone were the days of slapping on some frosting and adding some sprinkles. 
 There were many laughs, stories, challenges, and of course fingers being licked.  It was a great evening!


2 comments:

Denise said...

you are so cool. i'm going to come and be one of your kids.

Simply Sara said...

me too!!!
:)