10.20.2011

Do Something Good

last week i woke up to a blustery fall day.
it was the perfect day to make a little comfort food.
nothing says comfort food like a creamy pot of homemade mac and cheese.

when i saw my friend sarah had a crock pot recipe for mac and cheese i knew it would be perfect!
i could throw it together in the morning and it would be ready by lunch.
a hot comfort food lunch on a blustery fall day... yes please.

this macaroni and cheese was everything i imagined.
my kids did not agree.
they are not huge macaroni and cheese fans {whose children are they??} so i wasn't all that surprised but this left me with a HUGE crock pot full of macaroni and cheese.

i decided to give the macaroni and cheese away to some neighbors.  
i filled up a pan with macaroni and cheese for our neighbors, mr and mrs. lewis.
they are an older couple and mr. lewis is in poor health and has recently started hospice.

i sent my girlies down to deliver the mac and cheese and some cake balls i had in the freezer.
when the girls walked in, mr. lewis perked right up.
he loved having them there to visit and he loved the cake balls {who doesn't?}

a few days later there was a knock on our door and it was mrs. lewis
she returned my disposable dish cleaned and ready to reuse and a little note.
it was so simple to deliver this meal to mr and mrs lewis
why don't i do it more often?
i sign up to bring meals to people who have just had a baby or have been sick but yet i hadn't considered taking the burden of making dinner from my neighbor?
i didn't have plan.
i didn't make a fancy meal with all the trimmings.
it didn't matter. 

i need to do this more often.
i need to not worry about having the perfect meal ready to be delivered.
it can be as simple as macaroni and cheese.

a friend shared a site with quite a list of freezer meals.  
when i am preparing one meal for the freezer its just as easy to do two.
i am going to keep some extra meals in my freezer that i can have ready to deliver to someone.
a friend having a rough day 
a friend who gets sick or is tending to sick children
a new neighbor
the list could go on and on

a simple meal
a simple act of kindness
simply perfect

do you feel like you need to be prepared for a meal with all the trimmings or do you grab whatever is ready and deliver it?

i am participating with julie over at joy's hope in her do something good challenge. 


4 comments:

{cuppakim} said...

love this story kristen.

i think my favorite part is that mrs lewis returned the dish - and included the card - so sweet.

makes my heart burst.

Julie @ Joy's Hope said...

I love that you did this. I love that I am not the only one with alien children who don't like mac n cheese. I love that she returned the dish.

Jeni said...

So I already told you I dreamed about that mac n cheese all night long and had to go to the store the next morning so I could make it. Well it was sooo sooo good!! And my kids who only like mac n cheese out of the box loved it too!

hannah singer said...

beautiful!

we usually give whatever we have already on the menu, just make extra. depending on the situation, you know.
i love this idea! xo