As we were driving to the closing on our house in Minnesota, we received a phone call from our realtor. The people who were buying our house had a family emergency and couldn't come to the closing.
I felt like I had been hit in the stomach and I started to panic. My mind was racing with all the worst possible scenarios of this situation.
When we reached the title company office, one of our realtors was there to meet us and help us come up with a plan for closing. By this time I was a bit emotional (okay really emotional but hey it had been a very long and draining week emotionally I was due for a meltdown) but I was able to pull it together enough to help construct a plan.
Lance and I signed all the papers on our house in Minnesota and turned over the keys, garage door openers, and all other pertinent house information. The people buying our house would be in at 8 am Monday morning to sign the papers. As soon as the papers were signed, the mortgage company would wire the money to Idaho. I was not one hundred percent comfortable with the decision but we really didn't have any other options. I needed to trust that everything would turn out in the end.
As we left the title company office and started our drive to Idaho, we called both our realtor in Idaho and our mortgage company to give them a heads up on what had happened with our closing. They were both in agreement that we had made the right decision and we would come up with plan b if needed.
At this point I could feel myself starting to obsess and worry about the outcome (the planner in me), even though there was nothing I could about it. I knew I had a choice, obsess and worry and drive my husband and brother (who was helping us with the drive to ID) crazy all weekend or turn it all over to God. I choose to trust and be patient and know that God was in control. From that moment on, I was totally at peace with our situation. I turned my focus on
surviving enjoying our 1500 mile drive to Idaho with a dog, a cat, and two small children.
On Monday morning at 8:15 am Minnesota time (7:15 am Idaho time), I called the title company to see if the closing had taken place. My desire to know the outcome outweighed any patience I had remaining. The closing was in progress and they informed me they would call me when the wire transfer occurred. Thank you Lord for an hour time change! We were able to close on our house that morning and the movers arrived within an hour of our closing to start moving in our boxes. Sweet relief!
Even though there was a bit of stress at the end of our journey, I know this move was in God's plan for our family. There weren't just doors opened for our move there were gaping holes opened. Every part of our move had God's touch on it, from our house selling in four days, to finding a house that wasn't on our original list of houses, to the moving company being able to move us in and out in perfect timing, to the selling of Lance's two business in Minnesota, to living next to neighbors who embraced us and made us feel like family from the start. It isn't easy living away from family, and I still find myself saying things like "this isn't like back home" or "I sure miss this or this". Someday (maybe) Idaho will feel more like home (Jenni gave me hope in this post) than Minnesota. But for now I know this is exactly where God wants our family.